Monday, January 11, 2016

Week Two Extra Reading Diary: Babbitt A

The Monkey and the Crocodile/How the Turtle Saved his Own Life:
  • I wonder why the crocodile had to tell the monkey is evil plan. Why didn't he just drown him in part 1?
  • I can see why the narrator called the crocodile stupid. I cannot believe he fell for the, "Yeah bro, I would totally let you eat it, but I left my heart at home," bit. 
  • He also fell for the talking rock bit. 
  • Because, the monkey outsmarted him every time, the crocodile tells him that he admires his wit and that he will leave the monkey alone. 
  • The turtle was as cunning as the monkey. 
The Merchant of Seri/The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking:
  • I am happy that the cross merchant was not able to take advantage of the women but I feel like they were still jipped by the honest merchant. He was able to live comfortably without working for a while. 
  • I believe in standing up for yourself but there is a time and place and it is not during being suspended in the air with your mouth gripping a stick. 
The Ox Who Won the Forfeit/ The Quarrels of the Quails: 
  • If you have a good thing going, don't take it for granted lashing out at it and calling it names. Some things just don't respond to that. 
  • Despite being in a quarrel with someone, it is best to work together so you don't get caught. 
Source

The Measure of Rice/ The Foolish, Timid Rabbit
  • Were the sellers obligated to see their stuff to the King? If I was offered some rice for five hundred horses, I would have stampeded out of there. 
  • Don't believe everything you here. 
Stories by Ellen C. Babbitt, Read Here!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am glad the information about doing the extra reading made sense! Excellent! Now that there are all these different reading options for Indian Epics, including lots that work as just "half" reading, I thought people might want to explore some different kinds of stories besides the epics. What's really cool about the jatakas is that they were taking shape at the same time as the epics, over 2000 years ago! Some of the jatakas also show up in the Mahabharata and Ramayana... and there's even a jataka that is about the Ramayana! So I am really glad you chose this option, and if you like this type of story, there are lots and lots and LOTS more jataka stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete