Friday, January 22, 2016

Reading Diary C: Ramayana

Rama meets and proves himself to Hanuman. It turns out that Sugriva and Rama has a lot in common. I find it interesting that Rama would be critiqued in his slaying of Vali. I do not find it dishonorable that he his among the bushes until the time was right. I thought it was a rather clever strategy used by many strong armies. A the same time, I can see why it could be seen as cowardice. I simply, don't agree. Poor Rama, Sita is still missing and it turns out that Ravana took her to Lanka. I find it curious that Vali's son helps in the search. Hanuman goes out of his way to find Sita but gets captured in the process and Ravana had his tail set on fire.  The rest of the story pretty much sets the pace for the war between Rama and Ravana for Sita.
  • Surgriva: Brother of Vali. Possible story telling post could be about the relationship between Surgriva and Vali. King of the monkeys
  • Hanuman: Monkey god devoted to Rama. Incarnation of Shiva according to wikipedia.
  • Envoy: Messenger or representative, especially one on a diplomatic mission. 
Rama slays Vali

No comments:

Post a Comment