Monday, January 11, 2016

Week One Growth Mindset

I learned about Carol Dweck and her teachings on Growth Mindset last semester. I enjoyed hearing about this ideology very much, and believe it or not, I feel like it will help me in my collegiate journey. I was raised to believe that mistakes were the be all, end all, and that type of mentality made it really hard to broaden my horizons. I love the idea of Growth Mindset because it brings a certain point I made to my cousin the other day: College is not about how smart you think you are. It is about working hard for that grade. It is about putting in the effort to learn and learning from your mistakes. It is amazing to me that Carol Dweck says that effort is a bad thing in the fixed mindset. But then, I had the realization that we did sort of have those stereotypes forced onto us in grade school, especially high school. An extreme example is the typical bad teen comedy where the one who tries hard in school is a dork and the one who doesn't, is the popular one. On a serious note, Dweck's new video also touches on the defensive nature of a student who cannot handle difficulty. I, far too often, used the same excuse of, "it's boring," to get out reading material. I strongly recommend watching the RSA Animate video even though it is not necessary.


Source

1 comment:

  1. You find such great graphics to share, Mary! And I am glad you liked the RSA video. Some people really want/need transcripts for videos, and I am going to poke around and see if someone has done a transcript for that video by now, or I might just do the transcript myself (it's kind of weird how tedious it is to do a transcript for a video, which is why so many videos don't have them). There are some more really good RSA videos that I bookmarked to share for the learning challenges too, including two that are about empathy! You'll see them on the empathy list here marked RSA Animate: Empathy resources. Maybe you can watch one of those for a challenge coming up; I will be so curious to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete