Monday, January 11, 2016

Week One Overview

        I grew up in a very diverse community so I am somewhat familiar with the Indian culture (plus samosas and chicken curry make me weak in the knees). However, I am excited to learn more about the country. I have studied about religions like Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism in my history courses but it was in a generalized manner and the curriculum never went into great detail. It was more like the influence of the religion more than anything.
        I took myth and foklore last semester so it exposed me to quite a bit of epic literature. However, when it comes to film, I am a huge fan! I am not ashamed to admit that I have seen every Star Wars and Lord of the Ring movies. What can I say, sci-fi and fantasy dramas tickle my fancy. I also love period pieces like Gladiator, 300, and Forrest Gump. When I was little, I remember watching the Ten Commandments with my parents on one of those (extinct) big box TVs. I also very much enjoy watching Game of Thrones. I love it so much I had to add Daenerys Targaryen (Khaleesi) to my storybook last semester. I plan on readinRamayana online. I think it is amazing that it has a Soundcloud recording of each page. *Trying not to be intimidated by all the pages*


I love how colorful everything is, Source




2 comments:

  1. I am really excited to see what will grab your attention in the epics, Mary! I love this stuff, and with the graphic novels, you can see how it is inspiring people even now to tell the stories in new ways with so much great art. I'm guessing you might really like the adventures of Krishna: in a sense, he really is the greatest of the heroes, although the role he plays in the Mahabharata is secondary to the main plot. One of the reasons I redesigned the class was to make it so that people could focus on Krishna if they want, after getting to know the Ramayana and Mahabharata in the first half of the semester. Anyway, hopefully you will get a chance to go by Bizzell and check out some of the graphic novels and comic books there. Beautiful ancient art, modern graphic novels: there is a lot of good stuff going on, along with the great stories too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome that you have somewhat grown up in the culture. I have had no previous experience so I will have to come to your page whenever I get lost. I also think this might make your stories more in depth. Whenever I come to a topic that confuses me I usually try to avoid it.
    I'm excited to read more of your blog in the future.
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete