Monday, January 11, 2016

Week 2: Growth Mindset

Talk about Mindset:
I have a friend who took a biology course with me last semester. I stopped seeing her not too long after our second exam. When I caught up with her during Winter break, she told me that she dropped the class because she didn't want it ruining her GPA. She also explained that she came into that class with a bad attitude because she hated science courses and she could not retain information as easily as others. Because she was afraid of failing and asking for help, she dropped the class. I told her about growth mindset and how it teaches you to retrain your mind and its way of learning; a positive ideology on making mistakes will allow you to learn how to think more critically. She's taking it again this semester so send her some good vibes!

Source

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, what a great anecdote: I definitely believe in good vibes, and also in telling people about growth mindset. Last semester was the first time I did this in class, and only two people (out of about 90 total) had heard of growth mindset before... and since it is not all that hard to explain (you can grow your intelligence! it's not fixed!), then it really is practical to just tell people about it, along with sending the good vibes. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete