Friday, February 12, 2016

Week 4 Storytelling: A Lifetime with the Blues

      In all of Ayodhya, there was only one place where the loners and outcasts can go without being ridiculed by the rest of the population. Bedoul Night Club was located in the heart of the mysterious forest and was the ideal safe haven for all the misfits of the Kingdom. It is rumored that the owner, Ravana, built the place for his unrequited love. Every night he tries to make his move on the beautiful girl but to no avail for her heart belonged to another fellow. If it wasn’t all so pathetic, some would actually admire his adamant persistence.
       It was not hard to fall in love with Sita. Her beauty was unlike any of the other maidens and her talent was fantastic, particularly when she tried to sing away the blues. The male inhabitants of the club often daydreamed about being the one she chose to fall head over heels for. It is not easy getting over your first love, especially when he was the Kingdom’s golden boy, the only heir to the Maharaja. 
       When they were little, Sita, Rama, and Ravana were the best of friends. Since Sita’s mother and father were servants and Ravana's mother a maid, they all lived within the castle. However, when Sita’s budding beauty caught the attention of Rama, Ravana felt more like the third wheel than the three amigos.Oh how he longed to be Sita’s mate! As the years passed by with his dream girl on another’s arm, his dull bitterness turned into outright resentment. 
        Ravana’s mother, Manthara, took notice of her only son’s anguish and hatched up a plan to break the couple up. For weeks she examined the pair to find holes in their seemingly unbreakable bond. Finally, she realized that the only person Sita loved more than Rama was her mother, Kaikeyi. She spoke cruel things to Kaikeyi’s ears, hoping that her unknowing friend would get her daughter to leave the future king. 
Rama’s bad. He will make your daughter mad. He is the worst in all the land. He will beat and he will cheat. Tell Sita to cut him loose while she still can. 

        At first Kaikeyi did not listen to the hateful gossip Manthara had spread. However, Manthara tried and tried. Every day it was another scheme. She even paid one woman to flirt with Rama in front of Sita hoping to get to the young woman’s insecurities. But the ever faithful Rama's love was unwavering. Instead, he told his brother Lakshmana about the beautiful Urmila and the pair got married right away. This went on for about a year before Manthara even thought about giving up. Unfortunately, she found her weak spot once Kaikeyi became ill, and her reservations about the treatment of her daughter became the only thing she could think about. After all, how could such a powerful future king be so in love with a women born with such simple means? So on Kaikeyi’s death bed, her sole wish was for Sita to never marry or be with Rama. Upon hearing the news from his mother, Ravana covered up his mother's tracks in the matter by pledging his false loyalty to Rama by telling him that he would forever take care of his Sita. Now she sings the blues every night, going through life without her one true love.

Source
Author's Note: I watched Sita Sings the Blues for this week’s reading diary. I absolutely loved the parts where Sita sang about her adventures and inspired me to write this story. In between the ninety minute short animated movie, two storylines intertwine: the relationships between Rama and Sita and Nina and Dave. Though I could not exactly figure out how to incorporate Nina, Dave, or either of the cats, I did want to play off the sort of heartbreak and turmoil of the loss of love.

       I Googled the term misfit in Hindu and that is how I got the term Bedaul. I felt that it was appropriate for Ravana to name the club after that because he could not find his place in the real world of Ayodhya and in a sense created his own version of reality in the forest. Though I wanted to change the epic up a bit, I still wanted to portray Ravana as the villain keeping Sita hostage. The italicized text played off the song Rama’s twin boys sing at the end of the movie. Sita is forced to live the rest of her life singing the blues because she cannot be with Rama. I wanted to do something different this week so I changed up the backgrounds of the characters. In the original story, Sita was the daughter of a King, Kaikeyi was the second wife of Rama's father, and Manthara was a servant who absolutely detested Rama. 

This story is based on Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley.

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Mary!
    I really liked how you focused on the jazz portion of Sita Sings the Blues. I pretty much left that theme out of my storytelling entirely, so it’s great to see it worked in by someone else! Your story—at least the night club/unrequited love aspect—reminded me a little bit of Casablanca. You did a good job of using all of the same characters, but switching up the story to match your theme. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stories always become interesting when adding a modern aspect to a very old tale, and a night club does just that! This idea works perfectly that the most beautiful Sita is heart-broken by the “golden boy” so she spends her days (and nights) singing sad songs. Of course, Sita comes from a lower class family. Very clever spin on a classic. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I also watched the Sita Sings the Blues and loved how you incorporated its different parts into your story. I was a fan of how you turned the story from an ancient tale to more modern times. In addition, I like the twist on Sita's roots and how the story develops differently from there on. Thanks for posting and I look forward to reading more of your stories.
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,

    This was really cool. I liked how you changed the story to the three characters being long time friends rather than Rama being born to destroy Ravana’s people. I also really liked the way you manipulated the mother to get her to not allow the marriage. It was an interesting and different turn of events on the story. I also really liked Sita sings the blues. I wonder however how this would have felt with a bit more dialog. I don’t feel personally involved with the characters the way it is written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, This was a great short story. I like how it's very focused, and you don't have any extra details that don't add to the plot. Although, it might have been good to describe Sita and her singing. I think this would help the reader better understand, on an emotional level, how Ravana feels. That said, I think it's great that you were able to convey your story so concisely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic story! This is a wonderfully written piece. I did not see the ending come! I have not watched "Sita Sings the Blues", but I might have to add that to my story list for this semester. I also liked how we got to see Ravana's side of the story, and why he wanted to ruin the love of Sita and Rama. Seeing it from his point of view, it makes more sense why he acted the way he did.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,
    This story was excellent. It sounds like the video you watched, "Sita Sings the Blues", was really powerful. I liked, strangely enough, how you switched it up throughout the story by intermingling the different characters in a scheme that was so different from the readings. You pulled some of the most prominent main characters and intertwined their back stories to include a relation in some way to the key minor characters of the plot. I also commend you idea of making Rama, Ravana, and Sita all good friends back when they were children. It gave Ravana an excuse to pretend to by taking care of Sita for Rama when he was actually behind the reason for them not being together. You also put a great deal of thought into small details such as the name of the night club that Ravana created in hopes to woo Sita. Great detail and very creative story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mary!

    I love the layout of your blog, the colors are great and I think this story has a really great feel to it. It is very well written and I think that the picture that you used fits really well with the feel of the story.
    I think the fact that you watched the video instead of reading the story yourself gave you a really unique perspective on such an infamous story. That perspective shines clearly in your writing and made it really fun for me to read as the story that you wrote seemed quite original to me.
    I really like how you almost put a modern twist on it by having Rama own a club and the way that you chose to name the club was so original. I wouldn't have thought to google misfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary,

    You wrote a wonderful story and I love that you stuck with using the idea of having Sita actually sing the blues for Rama. What I enjoyed most about your story is that it was different in comparison to the other stories that I have read involving Sita, Rama and Ravana. The idea of having them being childhood friends and Ravana having an undying love for Sita while her and Rama were in a relationship was a cool take on the story. I loved that you had a rhyming scheme going on in certain parts of this story, and that you had it primarily set in a jazz club. There was a melancholy sense to it in my opinion which made it all the better. Having Ravana’s mother portray a devious character wanting to spilt Sita and Rama in order for her son to experience happiness was very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary,

    What a clever idea to have Ravana be the owner of a nightclub for misfits. I really like that you went through the trouble to find the translation for misfit in Hindi. You did a great job in changing up the roles of the characters and still keeping the main aspects of the Ramayana. I thought it was interesting that you chose to have Ravana send his mother to Rama’s mother to convince her to forbid the relationship between her son and Sita. This adds even more enmity towards Ravana than in the original Ramayana.

    I recently watched Sita Sings the Blues and I also enjoyed the songs that Sita would sing throughout the film. It was a little unclear to me, but was Sita a performer in Ravana’s night club? From what I can gather from the picture you chose I am guessing she is the featured act there, but maybe you could clarify her role at the club in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your photo! It looks just like Sita and it shows the exact moment that needs to be portrayed. I also enjoyed your story. I couldn’t help picture as the twenties. You modernized it which makes even better. I enjoyed the fact that you were able to really pull together the characters and cause a rift between Rama and Sita. It seemed like it would be a hard thing to do, especially when we were constantly reminded that they are inseparable and loyal. Great job! I really liked it :)

    ReplyDelete